Monday, June 15, 2009

Elevator Encounter

I'll admit it, I'm a political nerd. Some people get excited when they see celebreties and can't wait to see the next headline in People magazing. For me, its politicians and the daily edition of Roll Call. Despite spending over a month on the hill, I am continually startstruck when I meet a new politician.

This was especially true when I was waiting for the elevator one morning. The doors opened and revealed Senator Amy Klobuchar. I stepped into the elevator, jaw dropped, staring intently but unable to form words. After a brief second, I compsed myself and said good morning. After shaking the Senator's hand and sharing that I'm from Dassel, Minnesota, she responed with "Oh, that's right by the worlds largest ball of twine."

Although I'm impressed with the Senator's kowledge of central Minnesota and the location of my hometown, I am not thirlled to be remembered as the girl who lives by the twine ball. Nevertheless, I was still overjoyed by this enounter and rushed back to my office to share the story with fellow Minnesotans. For future elevator encounters, I hope to overcome my initial starstruck reaction and any mention of the twine ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment