Thursday, June 4, 2009

Washington Insider?

I've been living in DC for three weeks now. I know my way around, get annoyed with tourists, and consider an 80 degree day to be a little on the cold side. I feel like a Washington insider, but somehow, things continue to take me by surprise.

Like today, I was cleaning up the hearing room after the committee mark-up. After five hours in mark-up, the members had created quite a mess of newpapers, coffee cups, notes and the occasional game of tic-tac-toe or hangman. Yes thats right, the respected and honorable elected officials do not spend all day working hard to serve their constituents, they play tic-tac-toe with the guy next to them. And I thought I was the only one that was bored.... next time I'll know who to sit by for entertainment.

After I finished cleaning the hearing room, I was sent to deliver a document to the Democratic cloak room by the House floor. In the brief moment that I was inside the cloak room, I noticed a member of Congress fast asleep on one of the couches, getting in a quick nap between votes.

I'm not suggesting that members don't work, in fact I've witnessed them working hard more often than not. These stories are more of an example of how this city is unpredictable. The second I think I have it figured out, it throws something new at me.

Now, sitting in my office, enjoying the first slow afternoon I've had since my internship began, I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a true Washington insider or if I'm in a city so diverse and fast-paced that I will never be able to figure it out? I guess I'll have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment