Monday, June 22, 2009

Georgetown

In a got to have it now society, it was a little irritating to discover that a major sightseeing spot in DC did not have a direct metro stop. But once I traveled to the quaint area of Georgetown, my initial irritation subsided. I much enjoyed the long walk from the closest metro stop and down the long road of M street. While many of buildings in Georgetown are home to upscale clothing stores and fashion boutiques, they nonetheless have a nice colonial and historic feeling that make them fun to admire. Not to mention, it was entertaining to walk into a store that was way outside the constraints of my wallet and "pretend" to peruse the racks. It was also fun to find a unique store - one that was nowhere else. Like Annie Creamcheese (a vintage shop)! I also found one location of Five Guys restaurant -- the place recently made famous by President Obama. I'll be going back sometime to indulge in a juicy cheeseburger.

It was the perfect day to take the journey to Georgetown too. The previous days had been filled with rainy and overcast skies and hot, muggy air. But not this day, blue skies and gentle breezes covered us as we walked along the streets. Not to mention we caught the occasional glimpse of the water-front of the Potomac river.

My theory is this: no metro station is located directly in Georgetown because it preserves the uniqueness of the area. If you really want to explore it, you have to take it all in and go the extra mile to reach the area. I'm sure glad I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment