Monday, June 8, 2009

First Sunny Day

My fifth day in DC, and I finally saw the sun! Until today, DC has been raining and cool, not exactly how I envisioned my first couple summer days in DC. Within these last couple rainy days however, I have developed a brilliant scheme of meeting people. When it rains in DC, the sidewalks miraculously acquire walking black, canopy style roofs. Instead of dealing with the annoyance of an umbrella, I maneuver between umbrellas along the sidewalk. Not only am I saving five bucks by not buying an umbrella, but my scheme has also gotten me into very interesting conversations; networking at its finest.

After only a couple days in DC, I am starting to look more like a local DC’er, or rather I look like I know where I’m going. I have officially been asked by strangers, on the sidewalk or in the Metro, about directions. THREE TIMES!!! This either signals my friendly air, or my “oh so DC” appearance. Or both!

On this first sunny day, I spent the afternoon playing soccer on the Mall with other 20-something DC’ers. Although the field was muddy and increasingly weed infested, I had pride in knowing that I wasn’t just another tourist trouncing around among monuments. Of course this pride was trampled on when I forgot my soccer cleats. Step, step, ahhh…slip. Lesson learned: muddy field and running shoes don’t mix well. Apart from my ignorance when packing and slightly sun-burnt skin, my DC confidence was mysteriously heightened by my lack of lack of soccer skills.

One thing is stopping me from looking totally DC however: my hair. There are few blondes in DC, I refuse to give up my bright blonde (and admittedly dyed) locks.

Wish me luck as I continue on my journey of DC’ifying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment