Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Strong, Smart Growing Community of Washington, D.C.

This morning I was in a Senate committee hearing concerning sustainable (or shall I use the buzz word? – “green”) development. Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency was a witness at the hearing, and brilliantly referenced an environmental science term, relating it with strong communities. Jackson said a simple “indicator species” of strong, “smart growth" communities is a specific kind of homosapien – the in shape pedestrian. Applying this to Washington, D.C., this city is one of the strongest, smartest growing communities in the United States. I was a little nervous about living without a car this summer, however there has never been a time I needed one. Walking, biking, riding the metro: this city (and the surrounding area) is rich in transportation options, and thus pedestrians.

The D.C. pedestrian is no ordinary pedestrian however. They are fast walking, multi-functional, and in shape. I consider myself a pretty fast walker. In Minnesota, I take pride in consistently passing people on the sidewalks or in the mall, but in D.C. my walking pace is nothing out of the ordinary (actually, I get passed on occasion!). I mention multi-functional when describing the D.C pedestrian because they never simply walk: they are either emailing with their blackberry, talking on their blackberry, negotiating with a fellow pedestrian or eating lunch. Efficient. Considering the obesity epidemic in America and all of the delicious restaurants in D.C. (Cosi, Potbelly, Five Guys, just to name a few), the size of these pedestrians is important to note as well: they are in shape.

Simply put then: D.C. has both quality and quantity pedestrians, making it a strong, smart growing community. Thank you Lisa Jackson, for that insightful titbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment