Sunday, June 14, 2009

Monuments, Museums, and Memorials Galore!!

Our nation’s capitol is the tourist’s paradise. There is plenty to do and see and some of the biggest attractions are free of cost. Within my first few weeks of being here, I’ve had the fortunate opportunity to visit many of the well known and historical sites in Washington, DC. There are many to see, and if you are willing to take on the heat and humidity to visit some, much can be gained from the visits. From Washington to Jefferson to Lincoln to Roosevelt to Vietnam to Korean War, and Smithsonians – I’ve traversed and soaked in the magnitude and history that each one of these memorials, monuments, and museums has to offer!!
I took a trip to outer space at the planetarium in the Air and Space museum, which I followed with a glimpse into the actual Apollo 11 space capsule as well as John Glenn’s space pod. As I walked at ground level and touched a piece of the moon, hanging above me was Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis and many more historical aviation machines. It was hard to fathom that I was standing beside and beneath such historic artifacts that opened many new doors for our world.
I stood humbled by the thousands of names engraved into the black marble at the Vietnam Memorial. I felt reverence as the words of Lincoln’s Gettysburg address and second inaugural speech towered above me on the walls in his monument. I was speechless as I gazed into the reflecting pool and out onto the Washington monument and U.S. Capitol and recalled the many historical events that took place in exact same spot as I stood.
It truly is a remarkable experience and I’ve only seen a handful of the sites in DC that carrying so much meaning, so I better get a move on and take in more!

No comments:

Post a Comment